Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hypocrisy on Florida License Plates




Florida may be on the verge of approving license plates that feature a stained glass cross and the words "I Believe", a less than subtle endorsement of christianity in the state. While they may argue that it does not violate the Establishment Clause in the US Constitution, I disagree. The state congressman who is sponsoring this says that he wouldn't support similar plates for other religious views.


Rep. Edward Bullard isn't sure all groups should be able to express their preference. If atheists came up with an "I Don't Believe" plate, for example, he would probably oppose it.

What hypocrisy!


While some christians also oppose the plates, their reasoning isn't exactly reassuring.


Rep. Kelly Skidmore said she is a Roman Catholic and goes to Mass on Sundays, but she believes the "I Believe" plate is inappropriate for the government to produce.
"It's not a road I want to go down. I don't want to see the Star of David next. I don't want to see a Torah next. None of that stuff is appropriate to me.
"


Great. So she opposes the plates because she doesn't want to see other religions get the same thing and force here to see the Star of David, or the Torah, or sacred cows, or crescents, or Buddhas, or Darwin fish (since the religious right is so certain in their claims that Darwin is a religious faith).


Gah! Come on, ACLU. Get your shit together and make sure this doesn't happen.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

I think I heard somewhere that they caught fire for this and now have to provide Pastafarian license plates. I'd get one.

"touched by his noodly appendage"